RockNet Home Page   RockNet Meeting Minutes - January 13, 2000

                     ROCKNET MEETING MINUTES

                         January 13, 2000

Meeting called to order at approximately 7:30 p.m. by Bob Ekman in the 
City Manager's Conference Room at City Hall.

In attendance were: Bob Ekman, Glennon Harrison, Margie Hall, Mike 
Cannon, Jim Beller, Betsy Robbins, Stan Klein, Brian Pierce, and Robert 

1. Minutes of the previous meeting were accepted.

2. It was noted that the RockNet by-laws need to be finalized.

3. City Web Site: The statistics for RockNet and the City web sites for 
several months in 1999 were distributed and discussed. Betsy Robbins 
will try different software for analyzing the log files. Betsy reported 
that the weekly City Police Report is now on the Web site, in response 
to a citizen request at a recent Technology Action Team meeting. 
Future plans for on-line recreation program registration, Geographic 
Information System (G.I.S.), permit application and pay on-line were 

4. Mike Cannon reported that the Mayor and Council has re-appropriated 
$60,000 for four  servers. A discussion of servers, G.I.S., and a G.I.S. 
affiliation with Towson followed.

5. RockNet Web Site: Bob Ekman reported that the neighborhood map is 
now up. He has been working with the index server and has been 
unable to get it to function. Jim Beller submitted a form for FTP access 
for the Fallsmead web pages.

6. Bob Skinner reported that RockNet now has non-profit status from the 
federal government - still waiting to hear from the state. Non-profit 
status will allow RockNet to set up a bank account. He will start the 
process of setting up our financial objectives for the organization. 

7. A back-up site for the City and RockNet was discussed - a "mirror 
site" available in case of need. Glennon will talk to the person who 
hosted his Mayor and Council slate's Web site prior to the recent 

8. Bob Skinner announced that ideas for expanding the site and serving 
the community are welcome. Glennon Harrison suggested that we scan 
the internet to see what other communities are doing. Mike Cannon 
suggested that we investigate "spider" software to build a powerful 
portal. "Verity" is one product, Bob Skinner will do some research on 

9. The RockNet brochure needs to be updated as part of RockNet's 
recruitment and outreach effort to the community. Betsy Robbins will 
coordinate the graphics and printing after the content of the brochure is 
revised. A mailing list of neighborhood association contacts was given 
to Bob Ekman.

The meeting adjourned at 9:07 p.m.

Submitted by Betsy Robbins on February 8, 2000.