RockNet Meeting Minutes - October 10, 1996
MINUTES OF ROCKVILLE COMMUNITY NETWORK MEETING
October 10, 1996
The meeting was called to order by Bob Skinner at 7:37 p.m.
In attendance were Bob Ekman, Randy Gentry, Bob Dorsey, Glennon
Harrison, Stan Klein, David Mays, Gail Wisan Muren, Barbara
Skinner, Bob Skinner, and Thomas E. Thomas.
The minutes of the meeting of September 12, 1996, were read
I. Presentation by David Mays re COR/Rocknet Internet Services
A. Internet access will be provided by Sailor, will be ISP
B. Point of access will be the County's data center, direct
fiber optic connection through the library
C. Sailor at 10% utilization
D. Sailor router
E. E/mail - POP3 accounts to be administered by Rocknet
F. Time line calls for January/February implementation
G. Domain name will be "Ci.Rockville.Md.US"
II. Discussion of Draft Rocknet Style Guide and Policy Statement
for Content Providers
This matter to be divided into three areas of consideration:
Policy, Administration and Style.
1. All policy matters are to be referred to the Board
of Directors for decision.
2. Discussion re legal responsibility of Rocknet for
material from Content Providers: disclaimers, etc.
- check on Boulder site
3. Initial free Web page site: 200,000 bytes [Glennon
remembers this as 1 megabyte - please comment / Bob
4. Fees and/or charges (who, how, what) - referred to
membership/fundraising group for discussion
5. No pass-through of advertising by non-profit
6. No re-sale of access permitted
7. Passwords issued to individuals, not to groups
8. Non-profit organizations can promote political
causes but not individual candidates
9. Individual political candidates encouraged to put
up their own Web pages
1. Glennon Harrison to obtain GSA guidelines in
creating/managing Web pages
2. Moderator from Rocknet with Webmaster team to check
page content - discussion re paid Webmaster,
3. Develop code and examine all pages periodically to
remove those which are stale as indicated by date
comment in HTML script
1. Roald Schrack to continue to develop positive style
III. General Discussion
A. Glennon Harrison, Randy Gentry: we need documents
telling how Sailor is used
B. Randy Gentry: City's time line of January/February will
blend well with new semester at MC - he
will get in touch with Brian Davis
C. Bob Skinner: There is a need to explore ways of
finding some money in order, among other
things, to reimburse a paid "webmaster."
D. Glennon Harrison: Need nonprofit status
E. Stan Klein: We need legal opinion re our liability re
content of any offensive, obscene, etc.,
Bob Skinner: There are serious legal issues which need
to be reviewed
Glennon Harrison: Issue will be discussed by Board
Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.