RockNet Meeting Minutes - August 11, 2005
ROCKNET MEETING MINUTES
August 11, 2005
Meeting opened at 7:40 pm in the City Manager's Conference room.
In attendance were Roald Schrack, Brian Pierce, Mary Alice McDonough, James Beller, Pat Nucci, Art Casanova, Jonathan Walker, Betsy Robbins, Bob Ekman, Stan Klein and Carolyn Nicholas.
1. Minutes of June 9 were accepted with minor changes.
2. There was no July meeting.
3. Betsy reported on stats: City had 3027 average visits/day in June, 3107 in July Rocknet had 531 average visits/day in June, 594 in July The Mayor and Council minutes from previous years are gradually being put on the city website. Minutes back to 1982 have now been put on the city website. There is a gap from 1993 to 1998 that is now being worked on. Rockville Arts and Music Festival for September has been put on the website. Ben Creitz, who was on the Rocknet Board, has been hired by the city IT department.
4. Bob reported that the Rockville Housing Enterprise site is now on the Rocknet server. He has added some links to other sites. There are still problems with the DNS on Lyris. The webcam on the Victoria Apartments had a brief power failure but when power was restored the link to city hall was reestablished. The work on the roof has not yet been completed. When it is, the webcam must be remounted.
5. Jonathan reported on the Rockville Maryland Free Wireless program. The system is actually in operation but the formal start will be arranged to take place when Mayor and Council are available, probably some time in September. Jonathan is having some legal work done to define liability and restrictions on private use of the system. Users of the system will be asked to sign on with a username and password. The next step is to work with neighborhoods to get them interested in having a local Wi-Fi system. The Wireless subgroup plans to start having meetings in September.
6. The coming city elections were discussed. Bob will put "Voting in Rockville" on Rocknet. Mary Alice said she would be willing to work on a calendar for the Rocknet site. Bob asked that board members submit appropriate applications. Pat discussed getting High School students to help put a Rockshire website on Rocknet as part of their community service requirement.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Report submitted by:
Roald A. Schrack