RockNet Meeting Minutes - April 14, 2005
ROCKNET MEETING MINUTES
April 14, 2005
Meeting opened at 7:45 PM.
In attendance were: Roald Schrack, Jonathan Walker, Mary Alice McDonough, Jim Beller,
Art Casanova, Stan Klein, Betsy Robbins, Bob Ekman.
1. Minutes of March meeting accepted.
2. Jonathan Walker elected to be member of Rocknet Board.
3. Betsy Robbins reported on the web site activity. Rockville had 2362 average visits per day. Rocknet had 712 average visits per day. There was some conjecture that the increasing activity on the Rocknet site was caused by those viewing the activity on the web cam. Betsy reported on recent additions to the Rockville site: The FY06 budget and CIP, special events quiz, Hometown Holiday details, and Compensation Commission.
4. Bob Ekman has cleaned up some of the Rocknet pages Rockville Housing Enterprise pages are very complex and should be rewritten. Lyris still has problems with a few of the email address in West End list serve. Bob will examine the web cam on the Victoria roof to see if it can be relocated temporarily while repair work is being done on the roof.
5. Jonathan reported on a meeting of the Wireless Internet Working Group. They are preparing a survey to be given at the Hometown Holidays and Science Day to determine public attitudes on WiFi. Jonathan also discussed plan to do video interviews at Hometown Holidays and Science Day. There was a nice article on Jonathan's efforts in the Town Courier (distributed in Fallsgrove and King Farm). A pro- bono lawyer is looking into possible legal problems associated with WiFi.
Owners of the stores adjacent to the Regal Theater have agreed to donate equipment for the development of a local "hot spot" in their vicinity. There was extensive discussion of possible sources of an internet connection in the vicinity.
6. Bob Ekman discussed Science Day. A number of plans were made for activities during the day. There was a discussion of random numbers to be used in the selection of prize winners.
The meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.
Report submitted by:
Roald A. Schrack