RockNet Meeting Minutes - November 18, 2004
ROCKNET MEETING MINUTES
November 18, 2004
Meeting opened at 7:40 pm.
In attendance: Bob Ekman, Brian Pierce, Roald Schrack, Jonathan Walker, Danny Lee, Lee Scalzott, Dale Roethlisberger, Betsy Robbins, Mike Cannon.
1. Minutes for October were accepted.
2. Betsy reported on City activities: Updates were placed on the City website for Caregivers, Rockville Corridor Plan, Bikeways, and an Employee directory with pictures so the new City Manager can identify people. Rocknet had 429 average visits per day for October. A graph showing the average visits per month can be seen at www.rocknet.org/Rocknet/Statistics/index.html. The October report is a considerable increase over values for the several preceding months.
3. Bob Ekman reported on some new Web pages: West End Civic Assn. And Montrose Civic Assn are up with place holding pages. Rockville Housing Enterprise has enquired about a web page. The Rockville IT department is moving in January and the Rocknet server will have to be moved probably resulting in a half hour interruption of service.
4. Bob then displayed the results of the efforts to produce a time lapse movie from the separate individual one-a-day frames produced by the Town Center Webcam. Eight entries were reviewed and considered for adoption. See www.rocknet.org/Rocknet/Webcam/Timelapse/index.html . The choice seems to be for a system that has an operating code separate from the images so that the same system can be used each month without a major effort.
5. Jonathan Walker reported on his attendance at a conference in Philadelphia. The city is considering a Wi-Fi system that would cover the whole city and offer broadband service either free or at very low cost to poor neighborhoods. The reports he distributed described similar efforts being undertaken in several cities. Jonathan is setting up a separate committee of Rocknet to consider in more detail the possibility of such a system in Rockville. Anyone interested is invited to join and to contact Jonathan at email@example.com .
The meeting adjourned at 9:30pm.
Reported by R. Schrack