RockNet Meeting Minutes - November 13, 2003
ROCKNET MEETING MINUTESThe meeting was called to order at 7:35 pm in the City Manager's Conference Room in Rockville City Hall.
November 13, 2003
In attendance: Bob Ekman, Betsy Robbins, Brian Pierce, Stan Klein, Ken Rothermel, Roald Schrack , and Mike Cannon
1) Minutes of the last meeting were accepted.
2) Betsy reported on statistics, Rocknet at 466 average visits per day. Building Permit Status about ready to be launched on Rockville web site. An overview of Civic Center facilities is being prepared to aid in marketing. Content Management will be used on the overview.
3) Rocknet hosted a new web page for King Farm Condominiums. There are at least 5 such groups in King Farm in addition to the umbrella organization King Farm Home Owners Association.
4) The Rocknet server was invaded by a hacker group based in Canada on October 14. Strange behavior of the system was noticed on October 15 and the system removed from the network. It appears the breaking occurred through an administrative account. The administrator account was disabled and applications loaded by the hackers were renamed. The system was updated with all available Microsoft patches. The system was bought back online later in the day on the 15th. No new break-ins have been observed since then.
There was an extended discussion on possible future moves to prevent break-ins and what to do if one is detected. This was considered to be an ongoing topic with future actions in store.
5) Plans for 2004 were discussed. Implementation of the new server, use of the new Lyris listserve, and continuing discussion of Wi-Fi were considered to be the major areas of concern.
The city is contracting for a study of the use of Wi-Fi in the vicinity of city buildings to allow for more rapid access of city databases by employees. It was suggested that the contractor be asked to additionally investigate the use of Wi-Fi in the Town Center area.
The meeting adjourned at 9:40
Roald A. Schrack
13 Farsta Ct.
Rockville, MD 20850